Monday, August 13, 2012

Are We In Labor?!?!

Being the typical new parents to be Jake and I decided to attend all of the classes our hospital offered that were supposed to get us prepared for our soon to be new arrival.  If I had to rate the classes on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the best) I would have to give them a big fat 2.  To be honest the only thing we got out of the classes were a laugh or 2 (especially one particularly strange lamaze course that consisted of partner massage with house hold objects...humm)

The most disappointing piece of advice given in this class was the answer to the question most first time moms have..."how will I know I am in labor?!?!)  The standard answer (and extremely confidant) we got was "OH YOU WILL KNOW"...UH Yea right!

Sunday June 17th 6:00 AM (Father's Day) - 

So most days during the last couple weeks of my pregnancy I had TONS of energy - often getting up at the crack of dawn (first to eat bec lord knows I was always starving) but then clean house, run errands, walk Elvis, gripe at Jake to work on something off of my never end of nesting list - pretty much run around like crazy while my sweet husband stayed in bed snoozing because this was after all the weekend.

BUT this morning was different and I was in no hurry to get out of bed.  I started having pain about every 30 minutes or so that would seem fairly consistent and then decide to stop all together.  I really didn't think I was in labor - just thought my stomach was upset or something to that nature.  I went on like this until about lunch time with (Jake asking me about every 15 minutes if I was in labor) to which I am sure (kindly) responded I HAVE NO IDEA!!!  So we did naturally did what all couples in the same situation would do - we got out all of our pregnancy books (four different versions I believe) and of course our friend google (because he always has the answers) and proceeded to try to figure out what was going on.

After another hour, a bath (which I made Jake sit in the bathroom with me during) and several popsicles (yumm) later we finally decided to call the doctor and see what the heck they thought was going on.  To be sure they said we should go in and get checked out so we grabbed our bags and headed up there fully assuming we would be coming back home...By the time we were heading up the hospital I stopped having pain and Jake started to get concerned.  You would think the concern was about me and how I was feeling, however his concern was that we might look silly if I wasn't having any pain anymore so he so sweetly recommended that I put on a sad sick face and fake it!  Ha!

Once we checked in and were all hooked up to be monitored we asked the nurses how long we could expect to be there and they responded 2 HOURS!  UHHH at that point we immediately regretted calling the doctor and were more than disappointed to be missing the US Open golf tournament for nothing!

Then...we overheard the nurse talking to the doctor on call (something about contractions being 5 minutes apart) and when we finally realized they were talking about us we couldn't believe we were actually going to be meeting our little boy so soon!

Once admitted to L&D we started sending out the message and a few hours later the fun began.  I made it to about a 6 (this would be the point where I knew I would start to cry if I waited any longer) and ordered the epidural.  This pic was definitely after the epidural kicked in...Although this one is not so lovely you should see the before...NOT a good look for me:)



I seriously have no idea how moms go without that lovely little life saver.  From there on out it was smooth sailing - we finished the golf tournament which Webb Simpson won (thank goodness or Graham - you would be spelling your name Graeme...make sure to ask your daddy about that one later) and hung out until it was go time.

Determined to have a fathers day baby we sure did try but our little miracle was born at 12:15AM on June 18th 2012 - otherwise known as the day that would change our lives forever and my new personal favorite day in the world :)


No comments:

Post a Comment